I've been thinking a bit about next year, particularly in terms of church and ministry. I know that once I start studying full time, I won't have as much time & energy to be devoted to ministry. I know that my priority will be as a diligent and faithful student.

I know that.

But what do I do with the little time that I have for church?

A bit of self confession here - I'm a control-freak and perfectionist. But you probably know that already, right? Well, this means that I want to do everything, and do an impeccable job of it. And so, that's why I'm involved with TG, EYF, Sunday School, English service, camps, conferences, training events, evangelism, discipleship and interchurch joint ventures. Not to mention that I will to be doing music, preaching, and mission.

So what do I do next year?

Here are some of my thoughts so far...
  • Step down from my uni age Sunday School group.
  • Ask the more mature Christians to take up Sunday School and/or partner with Jeremy or Johnny.
  • Split EYF up into 2 groups - Chow Faan (for more mature Christians) and Chow Mein (for younger Christians). I'll lead Chow Faan (made up mainly of Sunday School teachers) while Jeremy takes Chow Mein.
  • Continue to oversee most of the English ministries (esp TG) and evangelistic events, but abstain from other Bible teaching roles.
  • Possibly liase & visit with other neighbour churches for combined camp/outreach/training events. But would be good to have someone dedicated to the administration.
  • Preach in the congregration, and perhaps at other churches as well.
The main focus of this is for me to look after the older Christians and leaders in EYF, and then for them to look after the TG leaders and other EYF members, and in turn for them to be looking after the other TG members.

Sounds like an ideal flow-down effect. But the only way it'd work is if everyone understands and supports this vision. I think I'm better at teaching older Christians, and given that I have very limited time, I'd like to focus on them.

Anyone else have other ideas?

<< Pray for wisdom in making ministry decisions for next year so that I will be effective as a student and as a minister of the gospel. Pray also that God will raise up the right people to fulfill some of these roles so that I am freed up to do other things. Pray also that I won't take all the responsibilities onto myself but to trust God to be in control and for Him to bring things to perfection. >>

0 comments:

ShareThis