Day 1: April Fool

After some brekkie and a shower I'm feeling a bit better.

What had happened was that Phil & Dave had planned to come and meet me at the airport at 2am. They had asked Tim to arrange a taxi for them to go pick me up. But a bit of miscommunication here. Tim got the idea that they just wanted a taxi to go get me. So he sends a taxi driver with my name on a sign to stand at the arrivals area. Phil & Dave are waiting at the hostel, and finally realises that the taxi is not coming to take them to the airport. After consulting with Tim, they go to bed thinking that everything is fine.

Meanwhile at the airport I was doing a great job of ignoring all the taxi drivers - because in our preparation in Sydney, we were told that we would get swamped by beggers, hawkers and taxi drivers, and the best way to deal with them is to ignore them. And so I did.

The poor guy was probably trying to get my attention and see if it's my name on his sign, but I would've totally ignored him. Afterall I was only expecting Phil or someone I knew. Not my name on a sign. And so I sat at the airport and waited. And so did that taxi driver. Apparently he was there till 5am.

It wasn't until some of the guys from my team woke up at around 5am that they realised I hadn't arrived. The girls and married couples were in different rooms, so they were totally oblivous to my plight.

Later on, we joked that this was a greak April Fool's surprise...
Category: ,

0 comments:

ShareThis