Has it been only 15 months since I left? A short span of time by any accounts, but already much has changed. I visited the morning service and Sunday School (aka SYG) at WSCCC on Sunday, with the purpose of seeing some of the kids I taught while I was there. I had wanted to do this much sooner, but had no opportunity until my holiday was cancelled. Seeing the once familiar faces brings back nostalgic memories of my first 2 years as a Bible study leader.

In many respects, these kids had not changed much. The older boys still hung out together in their little corner, doing their best to ignore the leader without being noticed. The younger boys...quiet and studious as always. And the girls as keen as ever, despite the constant distractions around them. Seemingly the same, and yet...different. I could imagine most of them in formal suits and evening dresses for a Year 12 formal! But more so, I could see that some of them have matured as Christians and are still going strong, while others have become laid back and apathetic.

I wanted to hug them and ask how they're going and what school's like and what's happened in the past year and...but I found myself emptied of words. The jumble of thoughts which fought for attention in my mind suddenly subsided, and I was simply left with a sheepish grin on my face. I had a fleeting glimpse into the mind of my own Sunday School teacher when he came back for a visit. The bittersweet feeling, heightened by the now decrepitating management of SYG.

It's hard being in the business of changing lives.

<< Thank God for giving me the opportunity to teach these kids and to mould them at a young age. Pray that they may continue to grow passionately for the gospel and that one day, they too will be in the business of changing lives with the gospel. Pray also that the structure and management of SYG may improve so that it will be a ministry that effectively makes long-term disciples for Christ. >>

0 comments:

ShareThis